Marietta Grandparents' Rights Attorney

Visitation and Custody Rights of Grandparents in Georgia

Grandparents have the right to seek custody, visitation and sometimes adoption of a grandchild in certain familial circumstances. The courts recognize that grandparents often play an integral roll in a child's life and that it would be in the best interest of the child to maintain that relationship.

If you are a grandparent and want visitation rights, you should consider talking to a lawyer about your rights while a legal action is pending. Doing so gives you the best chance of asserting your interests. If you are considering becoming a legal guardian or seeking custody, discuss your thoughts with a lawyer right away so you can be aware of the process, your rights and your obligations.

Would you like to speak with a lawyer about your rights as a grandparent? Call us at (770) 424-1400 to schedule your consultation. You can also e-mail us to get a prompt response about your question.

When Can You Fight for Grandparents Rights?

Under typical circumstances, parents have total discretion in providing visitation time between children and their grandparents. However, if one of the parents is deceased or has little to no contact with the child, grandparents may choose to seek visitation rights. They may also choose to seek visitation if the parents are separated and the custodial parent refuses to allow contact with the grandchild.

Additionally, if the parent with primary custody neglects or cannot care for the child, a grandparent may seek temporary custody through the juvenile court.

Compassionate Representation. Strong Legal Advocacy.

At the law office of G. Cleveland Payne III, P.C., we provide compassionate representation and strong advocacy when you need it most. We understand the important role grandparents play in a child's life. We want you to maintain that special relationship. We help assert your interests and protect the best interests of the children involved.

Contact a Georgia Temporary Custody Lawyer

For more information about grandparents' rights in Georgia, contact a family law attorney at the law office of G. Cleveland Payne III, P.C. today.